Monday, February 4, 2008

Have a heart? Consider this...


I read a moving article in the Free Press over the weekend. A 36-year-old mother of two named Sherry awaited a heart transplant after four years of suffering with cardiomyopathy. The long and the short of the article available here is that she did indeed get a new heart but only after another woman, a 51-year-old mother, grandmother, wife, and sister named Sue, died.

After her recovery, Sherry was able to get in touch with Sue's family. They all met at a coffee shop. The family members of the woman who died--and whose sacrifice enabled another woman to live--all arrived wearing shirts adorned with Sue's photo. Sue's husband asked if he could feel his wife's beating heart! Sherry obliged!

I was teary-eyed when reading this story. I decided to see what I had to do (besides sign my driver's license) to become an organ donor. What I found is that it's really quite simple to add your name to this list. I needed only to enter my driver's license number, name and birthday to confirm my desire to help if the situation ever should present itself.

So I pass the link on to you. Click here if you are a Michigan resident interested in adding your name to this important list. If you're not a Michigan resident, check with your Secretary of State office for information on how to sign up for your state's organ donation list.

Jacquie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I added myself to the donor registry! Thanks for the info